Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Emily--and my second PUBLISHED BOOK!"

“The face of an arrow” is the name of my newly published second book. Today, I received my first copy of the book from the publisher. Because of its finalization and yet grueling process my husband and I decided we needed to celebrate the accomplishment of this ‘second’ feat! (I wrote it in 2008—took two years to finalize it—five months to publish)
So, Charlie and I vacillated between restaurants in support of which venue we would commemorate this accomplishment. And with his insistent zeal for what I had done, he chose the ‘Gas Lamp’. The Gas Lamp is a very nice restaurant. It is also a little pricey ‘new’ place and a very calm atmosphere on a Thursday night. It has a romantic ambiance for a couple who desires to come face to face in conversation about the evident and even the “vague.” Allow me to explain.

Our service waitress was Emily. Vibrant, full of life and personality with auburn red hair, which she chooses to have by application, and it compliments her naturally beautiful personality. What a delight she is to host a table.
My husband right away tells her we are here to celebrate my wife’s second book. She congratulates me, and then proceeds with the demands of her position. The second time she came back to the table with our drinks and then our appetizers, she ask; “So, what is your book about?” I proceed to tell her this; “I am a Christian author and this book is a product of the studies I began with women who came into my home for Bible study on Monday nights, for two years. They enjoyed and appreciated these studies so much, that one girl encouraged me deeply, to make it into a book, so I did.”
Emily said; “That’s so great, I really would love to study Theology and go to school to further my desire in this type of field. Then she says; “but with work and juggling my schedule, baby sitting in the mornings and working here in the evenings, I do not know how I will do it.”  I said; “The Lord will make it happen, you just need to keep your interest and not despise where you are, because you are a gift. The greatest virtue is to serve. You are learning right where you are, and you do it graciously.” She was filled with gratitude about my expressions, but I was actually finding myself fervently encouraging her to really hear my words. It was as if the timing on this was urgent in the grandeur scheme of things.
“My family is Presbyterian” she said.
I told her, though I am non-denominational and full gospel, I have scribed a couple of quotes in my book by a man named; “Dr. Timothy Keller from New York, also a Presbyterian.” I said; “Maybe you should just begin to listen to his ‘free’ downloads and be encouraged by his teaching until you can go to school.” “I will do that she said.”
I could see that she made note of it in her mind as I proceeded to share with her that my Uncle  was a Presbyterian priest. I loved him dearly. (he was actually a cousin, but we called him "uncle") I highly respected his gift of theology, though my Daddy was a non-denominational preacher, and the first in Grove, Oklahoma in the ‘70’s, I will never forget as a young girl my Uncles Delmar’s visits and his congenial spirit of the Word of God.
Every time Emily would come back to the table, I found myself expressing her gifts. My husband, was assessing her, since he did that as a business for 26 years, was also encouraging her right along with me. We could see that this girl can do anything she sets her heart and mind to do, as long as she relies totally on the Lord Jesus Christ. She agreed with that statement and she thanks us for seeing this in her.  It was easy to see.
It was a fascinating evening of celebration with Emily.  
I found that “The face of an arrow” and it’s celebration of commemoration was not at all about my private publicity or ‘fame’ or even my feat of accomplishment, but it was actually about doing what it was written and published to do. Pierce. Pierce the hearts of women like Emily who are searching for who they are in this big bowl of life we call accomplishment, yet we really only accomplish nothing unless we are REACHING to help others get to their TARGET.
Arrows need a target. Isaiah 49: 2 is the full illustration of my books description. I felt Isaiah’s words speak to me all over again while I was sharing with Emily.

We shared laughter with Emily, my husband and I, and we even shared tears, toward the end of the dinner when ‘we’ both began to applaud her attributes which were wholly God given. She, like others who do not see their gifts are truly presents to the world and have so much to offer.
Emily Gwinner was not on my scope when I left my house to celebrate “my” triumph. Ha! In fact, it was not about me AT ALL! I should have never written the first word on the blank pages two years ago, if I thought for a second it would ever be about me. It’s about Jesus. And His name was mentioned several times throughout the course of the evening.
It was also about the “Emily’s” of this world in which I hope to touch and to reach by its expressions of hope in finding who you really are in this world.
I grabbed her hand, before we parted ways and I said; “I pray that while you are here, you will continue to have a servant’s heart and I pray that God will bless you and allow you to fulfill the dream of seeing Him for who HE is in your life. I also asked for provision to be made for you to accomplish what you desire to do.” My husband and I believe it is MUCH. What a vibrant, smart and compassionate 22 year old lady.

I found Gods “Face of an arrow” in the midst of a “Gas Lamp” restaurant. I am certain she will be propelled right where He wants her to go.
Wow, what a celebration! Thanks Emily!
I will be bringing you my newly published book—as soon as I receive my first order in my hands.
Hollymillerministries.com
hollyhammiller@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the 2nd book! What a great story about taking the opportunity to share your faith in a non-threatening way in an every day situation! I pray that Emily's life will be changed by the Spirit and that she walked away encouraged!

    ReplyDelete